Saturday, June 19, 2010

"Have A Nice Flight"

Its 5:30 am and I am sitting on the floor of the Tel Aviv Ben Gurion airport. I feel completely violated. I went through hell the last 2 hours trying to get where I am right now. My bags were searched four separate times. They went through every piece of my luggage, asked me questions that no one knows the answer to at 3 am- they threw away anything that rubbed them the wrong way. Each time they searched my bags; they took everything out and made me repack it… just to re-search it. They examined my books, asked why I was reading such material and what I knew about it… if it had anything to do with my visit to Israel, threw away a magazine, read every page of my journal; asked why I had Hebrew and Arabic written in it, or why I had certain entries… Asked if I spoke Arabic, or knew any Arabic words… made me explain where I went each day, if I ever left Jerusalem, why I came to the airport alone, threw my granola and protein bars away… made me take out every piece of electronics out so they could examine each separately… And after all that, they wouldn’t even let me carry one of my bags on. Hell.
2 hours of hell and I get through security. As I walk down the halls, I watch the walls. I study the posters, the images on them, and the slogans attached. I start to get sick to my stomach. Still, through security, I don’t feel safe. Maybe because after they searched me 3 times, they chased after me and searched me a 4th.
The last 10 days have been eye opening to say the least, and I suppose this experience is fitting.

I never thought I would say this in a million years… but I cannot wait to get to Athens!!! Hahahahaha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment