Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Trapped in a Glass Case of Emotion



Today was such a roller coaster of emotions for me.





My morning was great, Rachel and I sat at a remote table in the courtyard to share breakfast and coffee while enoying the view, and some time alone from the group. It was fun, happy times. We joked around, but also had some serious talk. I enjoyed it greatly.




We then met up with the group at 830 am and headed to the Holocaust Museum. This was intense for it was so depressing to see so much dehumanization, and then to sit and contemplate how this nation is now dehumanizing another group of people in order to secure their own spot under the sun. After we walked through, we all sat outside quietly and thought and wrote alone. It was a very deep moment for each of us...


How many lives must be sacrificed before we realize worth?

How many tears must be shed before we feel pain?


How many lessons must be taught before we understand?


How many questions must be asked before we get an answer?




I wrote this directly after finishing my self guided tour of the museum. I just see this plain as day, and I feel confused because people complicate everything. Why must we use stupid justifications to repeat evils we should have learned from? No matter the scale, knowledge and empathy towards humanity should never be disregarded.



After the museum, we traveled to Hebrew University to meet students who were also participating in The Jerusalem Project. We toured the campus, and sat in with their class. I was so nervous and anxious to speak that I was shaking uncontrollably. I faced my fears and felt courageous when I spoke to them, dialogue was produced. We spoke for an hour or so, shared some homemade desserts from the professor, and took a picture on the roof.








We grabbed some lunch a couple blocks away and the laughter had finally been restored. Lunch was good, except I accidentally got swordfish on Caitlin. I have been dubbed the messiest eater by my new friends. Awesome.


We met up with a old member of the project named Mordechai Zeller at the Zion Gate. He showed us around the Jewish quarter, and the Western Wall. Mordechai is such an interesting person, but he reminded me of a missionary Jew sort of. I felt the whole tour was an attempt to convert me to Judiasm, because he didnt want me to go to hell. It was... different. I felt, sane.


Each ofr us on this trip has had moments where we question EVERYTHING we know. Today I think, was one of those days for most everyone...
After dinner Ahmed from PYALARA came over and hung out in the courtyard with us, it was a splendid time as always. I love new friends. Relationships here seem to be growing so much stronger and faster than at home, this place is so intense... I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment