Sunday, June 27, 2010

I Just Wanna Be Successful...

The older I get, the more I understand. This seems like an obvious statement, but I would disagree. I find it much easier to say, the older I get, the more confused I become. However, this confusion that I speak of is my understanding. Understanding that life is confusing, and understanding that it is only confusing because I seek to understand it. If I did not spend countless hours pondering, stretching my imagination, and deepening my knowledge, I would not be so confused about life. I would go day to day, following my same routine… feeling the same emotions, and never really understanding this beauty of confusion that I do now.

This leaves me in a strange state of mind. The acceptance of confusion as growth and understanding does something to the mind. We are taught our whole lives that confusion is the opposite of understanding, so does this mean that I am wrong? Or is it okay to explore new ideas, and break the bounds in which we are to live our lives?

I love growing up, I love learning, I love being confused. To me, stagnation is the most evil of all. As long as I continue to progress, and to become more and more “confused” about where I am going… I will be happy. And happy is the goal, right?

4 comments:

  1. "What all older people know, what had taken me almost sixty years to learn, is that an aged face is misleading. [...] The older traveler knows it best: in our hearts we are youthful, and we are insulted to be treated as old men and burdens, for we have come to know that the years have made us more powerful and streetwise. Years are not an affliction. Old age is strength." Paul Theroux, from Dark Star Safari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stagnation is definitely evil. I feel so unraveled since we have gotten back. Aaand its been a week. I should be adjusted, but I don't think I will ever be the same. Ugh. LETS HANG OUT SOOON

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm coming to the table late on this one, but I just fell in love with your blog. Purely poetic. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete